How Do I Go About Changing My Last Name After Marriage??

How to Change Your Last Name After the Wedding

  • Get your marriage license. Before you can change your name, you’ll need the original (or certified) marriage license with the raised seal.
  • Change your Social Security card.
  • Change your license at the DMV.
  • Change your bank accounts.
  • Fill in the blanks.
  • Feeling overwhelmed?

How do I change my name in California after marriage?

You will need the following documents to get a legal name change in California after marriage:

  1. Certified marriage certificate.
  2. Proof of identification (driver’s license, state ID, or passport)
  3. Proof of age (adoption decree, hospital record, or birth certificate)

How much does it cost to change your name in California after marriage?

It costs $15 per certified copy—we recommend getting at least two or three, as you’ll have to submit them to change your name elsewhere. All in all, if you go this route, a legal name change after marriage in California will cost you around $100.

Is there a time limit to change your name after marriage in California?

In California, Pennsylvania, Washington, New Jersey and Ohio, women can’t change their middle name using the married name change process. Women in those states must petition the U.S. court system for a name-change in order to change their middle names. There is no time limit on changing your name.

Is it mandatory to change surname after marriage?

There is no requirement from law to change a woman’s surname after marriage. However, if the woman chooses to use husband’s surname in any legal document or places which ask for legal documents, then she would have to get the name changed as per the legal process. Women and Men are free to use any name they want.

What needs to be changed after marriage?

How to Change Your Name After Marriage

  • Use your original marriage certificate (not a photocopy) to apply for a new Social Security card.
  • Bring your new Social Security card to your local Department of Motor Vehicles to apply for a new driver’s license (or state identification card).