You have three options for filing your sales tax:
- File online – File online at the California Board of Equalization.
- File by mail – You can use California’s short form sales and use tax return and file through the mail, though you must pay online if your estimated monthly tax liability is $10,000 or more.
What is the due date for sales tax return?
The annual return, Form ST-101, New York State and Local Annual Sales and Use Tax Return, covers the period March 1 through February 28/29. Since sales tax returns are generally due within 20 days after the end of the reporting period, annual returns are due by March 20 each year.
How do I file California state taxes?
How to file your California state tax return
- E-file and pay for free with CalFile through the Franchise Tax Board’s website. You’ll need to create an account.
- File for free through an online tax-filing service like Credit Karma Tax®.
- E-file through a fee-based tax-filing service.
- Download forms through the FTB website.
Do you have to pay sales tax on used items in California?
Retail sales of tangible personal property in California are generally subject to sales tax. In some instances, retailers must pay use tax, rather than sales tax, to the BOE. The most common example of a purchase subject to the use tax is a purchase of an item for use in California from an out-of-state retailer.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”