How Do I Fill Out A Resale Certificate?
- Leave the seller/vendor fields blank.
- Only put down your business information in the fields provided for the buyer.
- If the fields are provided to describe your business and/or the product you intend to purchase, please use generic terms. Do not skip these sections.
- Sign and date the document.
How do I get a resale certificate in California?
The requirement to obtain a seller’s permit applies to:
- Register In Person. You may register for a seller’s permit in person at one of the Board of Equalization’s field offices.
- Register by Mail. You can get an application for a resellers permit mailed to you by calling 800-400-7115.
- Apply Online.
Does California accept out of state resale certificates?
Nine states (plus Washington, D.C.) will not allow sellers to accept out-of-state resale certificates. In most states, as long as you have a valid resale certificate in one state, you can use that certificate to make purchases tax free for resale.
Do I need a resale certificate in California?
Seller’s Permit vs. Resale Certificate in California. All businesses that are 1) engaged in business in California and 2) sell or lease “tangible personal property” that is ordinarily subject to sales tax must have a Seller’s Permit issued by the California Board of Equalization.
How long are resale certificates good for?
Certain states do impose time limits on the validity of resale certificates. For example, in Louisiana, resale certificates are valid for only three years, while in Washington, you must renew a resale certificate every four years.
Do you need a resale certificate to sell online?
For example, if you want to buy wholesale products to sell on eBay or your online store, you’ll need a reseller’s permit/license to avoid paying tax on those items. Suppliers will often require you to present one before they’ll do business with you.
Photo in the article by “NASA Blogs”