The first step is to get free copies of these forms.
- Visit the county clerk’s office in the county court building in the county where you live.
- Download a free divorce packet from the website of your local county court if available.
- Contact your local legal aid society.
How much does it cost to file for a divorce in California?
The filing fee for a divorce petition is $435. For the spouse filing a response to that petition, the fee is also $435. You may pay additional court fees depending on your county. Additional costs for your divorce will vary depending on which route you take to resolve it.
How do I file for divorce by myself in California?
7 Easy Steps of an Uncontested California Divorce
- Prepare and File Initial Petition.
- Serve Your Spouse.
- Exchange Financial Information.
- Sign a Marital Settlement Agreement.
- Request to Enter Default.
- Submit Final Judgment.
- Marital Termination Date Set.
- Prepare and File Initial Petition. Prepare and File Initial Petition.
How long do you have to be separated to file for divorce in California?
Filing. California’s residency requirement for divorce is six months, so you must live in the state at least this long before you can file. After you file and serve your petition for divorce on your spouse, she has 30 days to answer it. This deadline is not immutable, however.
How can I get a divorce if I have no money?
How to File for Divorce With No Money
- Obtain the necessary petition that opens a divorce case by going down to your local courthouse and requesting a blank form.
- Complete the divorce petition, giving the required information.
- Fill in the fee-waiver petition, which will claim that you do not have the resources to pay the filing fee for the divorce petition.
How much does it cost to get a divorce if both parties agree?
If both parties agree on all major issues, known as an uncontested divorce, you can keep the costs relatively low. If you do your own divorce papers and your divorce is amicable, costs could be under $500. Of course, there are filing fees in all states, which increase the cost.
Photo in the article by “SVG Silh”