Most special plates cost $50 extra initially and $40 to renew each year.
There is an additional $98 charge to have a plate personalized with letters and numbers spelling out a word or message; those plates cost an additional $78 to renew.
The DMV will review its practices, said Armando Botello, an agency spokesman.18 Apr 2013
How do I find out if a personalized license plate is available?
How to Check Personalized License Plate Availability
- Visit your state’s DMV or equivalent agency’s website (in some states, for example, it’s the secretary of state’s office that handles automobile registration matters).
- Type “personalized license plate” in the text field next to the “Search” button, and press “Enter.”
How long does it take to get license plates in CA?
If the vehicle registration expires within 30 days from the date the license plates are picked up, you must renew the registration to have the license plates assigned to your vehicle. Sequential license plates are mailed directly to the address on your DMV vehicle record; you should receive them in about 4-6 weeks.
How do I get a personalized license plate in California?
Part 1 of 3: Choose a personalized license plate
- Step 1: Visit the California DMV website.
- Step 2: Go to the license plates page.
- Step 3: Go to the personalized plates page.
- Step 4: Choose a plate design.
- Step 5: Choose a plate message.
- Step 6: Check the message availability.
- Step 1: Fill out the form.
30 Mar 2016
How much does a black license plate cost in California?
Each of those designs will need to hit 7,500 applications by 2015 for the DMV to issue them. All plates cost $50 for the initial application, which is refundable if that plate doesn’t hit the 7,500 mark. Renewal will be $40, and drivers can personalize the plates if they wish.
How long do custom plates take to arrive?
In approximately 10 days or less after your order is processed, you will receive new documents that show your current plate number and your new plate combination. Allow at least six weeks for the custom plates to arrive.
Photo in the article by “Flickr”