Of the approximately 33 million acres of forest in California, federal agencies (including the USDA Forest Service and USDI Bureau of Land Management and National Park Service) own and manage 19 million acres (57%).
What states have the most forest?
States With The Most National Forests
- Carolina. Although most of the national forest land is in Alaska and Maine has the largest forest cover in the US, California has the most national forests.
- Colorado. Colorado has the third greatest percentage of its land covered by the national forest (20.9%) after Idaho and Oregon.
What percent of US is forest?
Forest area has been rel- atively stable since 1907. In 1997, 302 million hectares— or 33 percent of the total land area of the United States— was in forest land. Today’s forest land area amounts to about 70 percent of the area that was forested in 1630.
How much of California’s forest is federal land?
The federal government controls 46 percent of California’s land, much of it managed by the U.S. Forest Service. In the three decades before 1990, foresters harvested 10-12 billion board feet of timber from national forests every year.
What is the largest forest in California?
Seven Largest National Forests
- Chugach National Forest, Alaska. Just outside of Anchorage, the Chugach National Forest is a gem within the National Forest System.
- Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, Nevada and California.
- Salmon-Challis National Forest, Idaho.
- Bridger-Teton National Forest, Wyoming.
- Tonto National Forest, Arizona.
How much of California is public land?
US States Land Ownership by Percentage:
|Rank||State||% that is Public Land|
47 more rows
Photo in the article by “Flickr”