If the court clerk no longer has the divorce records in custody, apply to the department of vital records, office of vital statistics, or registrar, in the county where your divorce case took place.
If the county records department does not keep divorce decrees, contact your state department of records or registrar.
Can I get a copy of divorce papers online?
Individuals seeking a copy of divorce papers need to apply to the vital statistics office in the state where the divorce was granted. A request for a copy of a divorce can be made by phone, online, by mail, and in person.
Are divorce records public in California?
In the state of California government data is governed by the California Public Records Act (CPRA) which legally obligates the state to provide you with the information you request. California birth, death, marriage and divorce records are maintained by the California Department of Public Health Vital Records (CDPH).
Where can I get a copy of my divorce certificate?
Vital records documents consist of birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates. State government vital records offices issue these documents. To get a copy of a vital record document, contact the vital records office in the state where the event occurred.3 Apr 2019
How do I get a copy of my divorce decree online in California?
How to Obtain a Divorce Decree From California
- Visit the California county superior court that issued the divorce decree. Bring your photo identification, such as a valid state license or passport.
- Tell the court clerk you need a certified copy of the divorce decree, and ask for a copy request form.
- Pay the clerk the fee for the copy.
Are all divorce records public?
Divorce Records and Privacy. Generally, court proceedings are public matters. In the vast majority of jurisdictions, this includes divorce proceedings. This means that unless the court agrees to file divorce records under seal, filings in divorce proceedings become matters of public record.
Where can I get divorce papers for free?
How to Get Free Divorce Papers
- Visit the county clerk’s office in the county court building in the county where you live.
- Download a free divorce packet from the website of your local county court if available.
- Contact your local legal aid society.
- Ask your state law library for free divorce packets.
How do I get a copy of an old divorce decree?
How Do I Get a Copy of a Divorce Decree That Is Twenty Years Old?
- Contact the attorney who handled your divorce to see if she has a copy of the decree.
- Ask the clerk of court in the county in which the divorce was filed about the procedure to obtain a copy of your divorce decree.
- Write to the person in charge of the court’s archives to obtain a copy of your divorce decree.
Are California death certificates public record?
California birth, death, fetal death, still birth, marriage, and divorce records are maintained by the California Department of Public Health Vital Records. Services provided by Vital Records include: Issuing certified copies of California birth and death records that are on file from 1905 to the present.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”