How To Close an S Corp: Everything You Need to Know
- Obtain a shareholder vote to dissolve.
- Stop conducting business.
- Notify creditors.
- Liquidate assets.
- File a certificate of termination.
- File final government documents.
How do you dissolve an INC?
How to Dissolve a Corporation
- Closing a corporation and winding up business operations is known as “dissolution,” and the process requires several steps.
- Dissolving a corporation successfully takes several key steps.
- Call a Board Meeting.
- File a Certificate of Dissolution with the Secretary of State.
- Notify the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
How do I dissolve a single member LLC in California?
How to Dissolve an LLC in California
- Choose the appropriate method of dissolution.
- Download the appropriate forms from the California secretary of state’s website (see Resources).
- Fill out the Certificate of Dissolution (Form LLC-3), if appropriate.
- Fill out the Certificate of Cancellation (Form LLC-4/7), if appropriate.
How do I cancel my California business license?
Part 2 Contacting the Government Agency
- File an abandonment form for a DBA. You should contact the state agency and ask for the form (if any).
- Publish notice of the abandonment.
- Cancel your resale license.
- Contact your city to cancel the business registration license.
- Cancel other permits with appropriate agencies.
What happens to debt when you dissolve an S corporation?
Satisfaction of Debts. S corporations are generally required by state law to notify all creditors of dissolution. Once all the debts are satisfied, the owners or shareholders of the business may claim and divide the balance of the assets.
How do you revoke an S Corp election?
All the shareholders who voted to terminate the election must sign the letter. The form must be mailed to the IRS at the appropriate address, which can be found in the section “Where to File” for the Instructions for Form 2553, Election by a Small Business Corporation.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”