How to Evict a Relative in California
- Give Notice. Give your relative notice that you want him to leave the property. If he’s failed to pay rent, you must give him three days’ notice.
- File an Eviction Suit. File an eviction suit with the magistrate court clerk in the county where the property is.
- Attend the Eviction Hearing. Attend the eviction hearing.
How do I evict a family member that does not pay rent?
How to Evict a Family Member From a House
- Gather documents relating to your home and the person you wish to evict.
- Give written notice to the family member, informing him or her that you wish them to leave.
- Wait out the notice period.
- Fill out the eviction notice form.
- Make two copies of the eviction notice you have filled in.
Can you kick someone out of your house in California?
In California, if you invite someone to stay at your house (w/o any written contract), is it legal to kick them out at will? If they’ve established residency, you might need to evict them, which takes 33 days in CA.
Can you kick someone out of your house if they are not on the lease?
In general, you cannot evict your roommate if you are both on the lease. You are considered co-tenants and have the same rights to live in the unit under that lease. This means you have a shared responsibility to uphold the terms of the lease, including paying rent on time and not damaging the property.
How long does it take to evict a family member?
Generally, this is what you’ll need to do to evict someone: Serve your tenant with a notice to vacate that states when and why he must vacate; most places require three to 30 days. Be specific, and state what he must do to stay, and by what deadline.
Can you evict someone who is not on the lease in California?
You cannot evict a co-tenant. Only a landlord can evict someone who is named on a lease, and can only do so with just cause. If your roommate is not paying rent, doing something illegal in the unit, or damaging the apartment, your landlord may step in to evict them for you.
Photo in the article by “Wikipedia”