In California, a home child care business must be licensed through the Child Care Licensing Program to operate legally.
A license also isn’t necessary if a child care program is once a week for no more than four hours.
Relatives of children also don’t need to apply for a license.
Do you need a license to run a home daycare?
Thinking that you do not need a business license to run a daycare from your home is a common misconception. Your city or county may require a license as well. Despite these criteria, many home daycare providers operate without a license, especially if they only care for one or two children besides their own.
How can I open my own daycare?
Read on to learn the ins and outs of how to open a daycare.
- Step 1: Learn about licensing. The first step to starting a daycare is to contact your state Daycare Licensing Agency.
- Step 2: Identify existing services.
- Step 4: Get set up.
- Step 5: Market your daycare.
Can I start a daycare without a license?
A daycare business requires licensing of facilities and people. As a home based childcare provider, you can have a certain amount of kids without a license but after that, you may have to be a licensed provider. If, after 6 months to a year, you still enjoy the job, start to grow your business.
How do I start a daycare in California?
Give yourself a minimum of six months from start to finish.
- STEP 1: Go to a DSS orientation meeting.
- STEP 2: Begin your search for a site.
- STEP 3: Identify a qualified director for your program.
- STEP 4: Obtain a “Use Permit”
- STEP 5: Obtain a fire clearance.
- STEP 6: Open a file with DSS.
- STEP 7: Complete the process.
How do I become a licensed home daycare?
In order to obtain a license, you should:
- Call your local Department of Health (DOH) office.
- Ask for either a family day care application or a group family day care application.
- Get your fingerprints.
- Complete your 15-hour health and safety competency training.
How much does it cost to open a home daycare?
Total start-up costs for a home daycare could range anywhere from $1000 to $4000. However, these costs will be much more if you plan to open your own daycare center.
How do I become a daycare owner?
- Becoming a Day Care Owner.
- Step 1: Consider Earning an Associate’s Degree.
- Step 2: Gain Work Experience.
- Step 3: Develop a Business Plan.
- Step 4: Obtain Licensure.
- Step 5: Continue Education.
How do I attract parents to my daycare?
You might try a few new strategies to catch the attention of parents and attract new clients to your daycare.
- Open Houses. Open houses give parents a chance to experience your daycare before they commit to enrolling their children.
- Word of Mouth.
- Community Advertising.
- Internet Advertising.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”