Part 2 Filing the Appropriate Paperwork
- Visit the court clerk’s office in the county in which you live.
- Obtain the forms necessary to file for divorce.
- File the necessary forms with the clerk’s office.
- Pay the court’s filing fee.
- Always keep copies of all documents.
- Stay organized.
Where can I get divorce papers for free?
How to Get Free Divorce Papers
- Visit the county clerk’s office in the county court building in the county where you live.
- Download a free divorce packet from the website of your local county court if available.
- Contact your local legal aid society.
- Ask your state law library for free divorce packets.
How do I file for divorce by myself in California?
7 Easy Steps of an Uncontested California Divorce
- Prepare and File Initial Petition.
- Serve Your Spouse.
- Exchange Financial Information.
- Sign a Marital Settlement Agreement.
- Request to Enter Default.
- Submit Final Judgment.
- Marital Termination Date Set.
- Prepare and File Initial Petition. Prepare and File Initial Petition.
12 Mar 2018
How long does it take to get a divorce in California if both parties agree?
By law, it will take at least six months before a divorce is finalized.27 Feb 2019
Can you get divorce papers online?
In these instances, filing for divorce without an attorney is probably not a good idea. Getting a divorce online means having an online document company prepare your divorce papers and, if applicable for your state and county, submit them electronically. Not all legal document companies will file divorce papers online.
How much does it cost to get a divorce if both parties agree?
If both parties agree on all major issues, known as an uncontested divorce, you can keep the costs relatively low. If you do your own divorce papers and your divorce is amicable, costs could be under $500. Of course, there are filing fees in all states, which increase the cost.
Photo in the article by “Picryl”