Prepare Yourself and Your Family to
- React Safely. Learn what to do during an earthquake.
- Take Cover. In each room of your home, identify the safest places to “drop, cover, and hold on” during an earthquake.
- Survive on Your Own.
- Stay in Contact.
- Care for People, Pets, and Property.
Where is the safest place to be in an earthquake?
From this came our belief that a doorway is the safest place to be during an earthquake. True- if you live in an old, unreinforced adobe house. In modern houses, doorways are no stronger than any other part of the house. You are safer under a table.
What do you do if there is a earthquake in California?
The Great California ShakeOut Earthquake Drill
- DROP to the ground (before the earthquake drops you!)
- Take COVER by getting under a sturdy desk or table, and.
- HOLD on to it until the shaking stops.
What do you do during an earthquake at home?
If you are indoors during an earthquake
- DROP to the ground; take COVER by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture; and HOLD ON until the shaking stops.
- Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls, and anything that could fall, such as lighting fixtures or furniture.
What should people do to stay safe during an earthquake?
If you are indoors when a earthquake hits:
- Drop down and take cover under a desk or table. Be prepared to hold on until the shaking stops.
- Stay inside until the shaking stops and it is safe to exit.
- Stay away from bookcases and other furniture that can fall on you.
- Stay away from windows and light fixtures.
What should you do immediately after an earthquake?
- Check yourself and others for injuries.
- Check water, gas, and electric lines for damage.
- Turn on the radio.
- Stay out of damaged buildings.
- Be careful around broken glass and debris.
- Be careful of chimneys (they may fall on you).
- Stay away from beaches.
- Stay away from damaged areas.
Is a 10.0 earthquake possible?
No known faults are long enough to generate a megaquake of 10 or more. (The largest quake ever recorded was a magnitude 9.5.) According to the U.S. Geological Survey, computer models indicate the San Andreas Fault is capable of producing earthquakes up to about 8.3.
What should we not do before an earthquake?
5 Things You Shouldn’t Do During an Earthquake
- 1. Don’t Hide Under a Bed. The small space underneath a bed will be made even smaller if the ceiling collapses on it.
- 2. Don’t Climb Under a Desk—Crouch Beside It. The same principle of avoiding a bed applies to furniture that appears roomier.
- 3. Steer Clear of the Stairs.
- 4. Skip the Doorway.
- 5. Flee From Windows.
Can earthquakes be predicted?
In the United States, the scientific experts on all things geology are at the US Geological Survey. Their webpage on earthquake prediction starts: “Neither the USGS nor any other scientists have ever predicted a major earthquake. We do not know how, and we do not expect to know how any time in the foreseeable future.”
Do humans have an impact on earthquakes?
The report noted that hydraulic fracturing has a low risk for inducing earthquakes that can be felt by people, but underground injection of wastewater produced by hydraulic fracturing and other energy technologies has a higher risk of causing such earthquakes.
Photo in the article by “HUD User”