How to Remove a Name From a Car Title
- Take a look at the title. If the title says your name and then “AND/OR” the other person’s name, you can title it yourself without the other person’s permission or signature.
- Contact the person whose name you wish to remove from the title.
- Send the title in the mail to the person whose name you are removing.
How do I transfer ownership of a vehicle from a family member?
You will need to bring the following documents to a ServiceOntario centre:
- a completed sworn statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario form.
- proof of Ontario insurance.
- your Ontario driver’s licence.
- Safety Standards Certificate (not required for spouse to spouse transfers)
1 Apr 2019
What happens if you don’t transfer a title within 10 days?
The number of days you have to transfer ownership of a vehicle you purchased or sold. Transfer fees must be paid to DMV within 30 days of the purchase date, even if you do not have all of the required documents. Failure to pay your fees to DMV within 30 days will result in transfer and use tax penalties.
Can I sell a car with expired registration?
One way to gain the attention of buyers when trying to sell a car with expired registration is to discount the sale price. If you own a vehicle with an expired registration, the seller is responsible for these fees, so the asking price should be discounted a commensurate amount.7 Mar 2012
Can a car be registered in two names?
There can be two or more registrants. Both the primary registrant and the co-registrant must sign Vehicle Registration/Title Application (pdf) (MV-82) and provide their proofs of identity and date of birth. Both names must appear on the NY State Insurance ID Card.
How do I get my name off a joint car loan?
If you want to be removed as a co-signer, there are several possible options.
- What’s a co-signer?
- Transfer the balance to a 0% card.
- Release the loan.
- Consolidate or refinance the debt.
- Remove your name from a credit card account.
- Sell the financed asset.
- Pay off the balance.
- Following up.
Can you gift a car to a family member in California?
Gifting. If you’re giving the vehicle as a gift or donating it to a charity, you must notify the California DMV of the change in ownership within 5 days of the gift date. You can do this either online or by mailing a completed Notice of Transfer and Release Liability (Form REG 138).
How do you transfer ownership of a car?
The form should also be duly signed. Download RTO Form 29 here. Form 30 (report of transfer of ownership of a motor vehicle): Form 30 needs to be submitted along with passport size photograph of the seller and the buyer.
Photo in the article by “Whizzers’s Place”