The gold rush probably helped earn California the nickname the Golden State, as did its golden poppies, the state flower.
California is bordered by the Pacific Ocean in the west, Oregon in the north, Nevada and Arizona in the east, and Mexico in the south.
How long is the US West Coast?
According to the US Census (which compiles geographical data from multiple government agencies), the general coastline of the entire US is 12,383 miles, while the shoreline is 88,633 miles.
How wealthy is California?
California has the eighth-highest GDP per capita ($58,619) among all U.S. states. The top 10 U.S. states by GDP per capita are: District of Columbia, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Alaska, Delaware, North Dakota, Wyoming, California, New Jersey, Washington.
What California is best known for?
14 Top-Rated Tourist Attractions in California
- 1 San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge. San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge.
- 2 Yosemite National Park. Yosemite Falls | Photo Copyright: Lana Law.
- 3 Disneyland. Disneyland.
- 4 Death Valley National Park.
- 5 Big Sur.
- 6 Lake Tahoe.
- 7 Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.
- 8 Redwood National and State Parks.